Legal Counsel- LATAM (Remote)
Empresa: Cover Genius
Objetivos del trabajo
Cover Genius is a global Insurtech with a vision to protect all the customers of the world’s largest online companies. Partners such as Booking.com, eBay, Shipstation, Skyscanner and AXS have integrated XCover, our insurance distribution platform that enables companies in a wide range of industries to sell or distribute any line of insurance in any country.
Our team and products have been recognised with dozens of awards including by the Financial Times who ranked Cover Genius as the #1 fastest growing company in APAC in 2020. Our diverse team across 10 countries and many language groups commits itself to diverse cultural programs, in particular “CG Gives” which makes social entrepreneurs out of us all and funds development initiatives in global communities.
Our People are Bold, Authentic, Purposeful and Inspired
Our People are not Perfect, Traditional, Complacent or Cautious
Cover Genius is looking for an experienced insurance counsel to join our Legal Team to support the company’s growing business in Latin America as we scale. The Legal Counsel will be a key advisor on legal issues concerning complex business transactions involving the sale of insurance and warranty products within several jurisdictions. The Legal Counsel will assist in negotiating with critical partners and provide strategic advice regarding growth within the region. As a team member of an innovative technology service provider to enable the sale of insurance products, the Legal Counsel will work cross functionally with the partnerships, insurance, marketing, compliance, product, and engineering teams to apply their expertise and practical advice.
What you will be doing:
* Support the company’s efforts across Latin America in considering, analyzing and applying for any legal subjects such as local approvals, authorizations or licenses
* Handle regulatory approvals, authorization and licenses including related analysis and applications
* Facilitate and advice on the set up of new corporate entities across the Region if/when needed
* Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of complex commercial agreements (including technology services agreements, distribution agreements, insurance partnership agreements, reinsurance agreements, and nondisclosure agreements) that support and enable our business operations in Latin America
* Provide advice and transaction support for the sale of multiple lines of insurance and warranty products, demonstrate an understanding of general principles of insurance law, and assist in supporting business partner objectives, while noting legal risks and parameters under various courses of action
* Maintain and improve upon the company’s standard agreements and playbooks
* Conduct research of legal and regulatory insurance requirements, as well as industry practices
* Provide appropriate recommendations for decision making and various courses of action
* Identify individual country legal needs, and liaise with external legal advisors developing a network of outside counsel if/when appropriate
* Support the compliance and auditing frameworks across the company
* Provide legal business partner training and counsel non-legal associates to enable stronger legal acumen across the company
* Qualified to practice law in a relevant Latin American jurisdiction
* 5+ years of experience within an insurance practice or relevant in-house experiences
* Expertise in drafting, negotiating, and advising clients on commercial, insurance, licensing, and technology related agreements
* Proven establishment of effective relationships with business partners and peers to understand their business drivers and strategic priorities
* Sound business judgment and adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters and conflicting deadlines
* Fluency in Spanish and English is a must, Portuguese highly desirable
* Resourceful and creative
* A people person with excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Able to work in a fast paced workplace/company, complying with short internal SLAs
* Able to multitask and prioritize work
Why Cover Genius?
Cover Genius not only cares about being the best in our industry, we care about our team. We’re a business that understands life can be fluid and so we flex to ensure we provide the environment to suit that. What does that mean?
• Flexible Work Environment - we are outcome focussed and understand that for our people to perform at their best flexibility is critical. Soon after the declaration of the COVID-19 global pandemic the entire CG team was granted an extra 15 days of Wellness Leave to take throughout 2020.
• Employee Stock Options - we want our people to share in our success, we reward them with ownership for their contribution in creating a world-class company.
• Work with like-minded people who are passionate about both the work we're doing and giving back. Our CG Gives programs enables us to all become philanthropists through our peer recognition and rewards system.
• Social Initiatives - a picture speaks a thousand words!
Sound interesting? If you think you have the best composition of the above, send us your resume at: